Sunday, June 13, 2010

Camp Kivu 2010

A Poem by Amber Kairalla (first term camper) for Staff & Campers of Kivu

From the moment I arrived here four years ago
I knew it was a place where I wanted to go

Backpacking through snow to very high places
Getting to know so many new faces

Cabin time and devos, so many inside jokes
Thanks to Peter and "AmERICA" to crazy music we awoke

Swing, two step, polka, we danced the night away
Dancing is great and I love the music you play

Getting to know my brother cabin has also been really great
Bowling, snickers and Dr. Pepper, staying up real late

Deep conversations with counselors, I really enjoy
Talking about everything: parents to school and even a cute boy

Rafting down the river, listening ot Bug adn Ryan talk
Hiking, ashes on our face, knocking down trees as we walk

Tubing down the river was so cold, but really fun
Laying on the sun deck getting roasted by the sun

On slum awareness day, I learned so much
Running around, sitting in slums, Byron cooking our lunch

Girls Night: "Ever After" and lots of chocolate food
2Deep and worship, putting me in a good mood

Bible Study was great with Kym and Caroline
Learning the love languages that happen to be mine

Learning so much in Institute with Andy
Riding in a van, counselors and bars of candy

Thanks to all the cooks and kitchies, you really know how to cook
And you all know how to make me smile with just one crazy look

Getting sick is never fun as I have clearly learned
But so much thanks to the nurses, gratitude clearly earned

Learning the new names of Kivu has not been an easy thing
2Deep, Summit, Veritas; I'm beginning to like the ring

But these aren't the only things that make Kivu the best
Kivu really is a great place to rest

Camp helps you find your purpose and who you really are
Its goal is to help teenagers go extremely far

See, this is not a normal camp, I have come to realize
What other camp comes even close to help me prioritize

I'm sure that there are many that I have forgot
And the fact I cannot thank you enough leaves me quite distraught

But these are the reasons I return every year
This is such a place of laughter and cheer

To Kivu, Braner, God; so much thanks to you all
I'll pray for this camp all the way until Fall

So keep up all the hard work here at Camp Kivu
You're impacting our lives and we sincerely thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment