Friday, July 22, 2011

Haiti Day 5- by Lauren Wagner
 
Today we woke up and had devotionals at the prayer rock and spoke about what needs we have and have not met while being in Haiti. The question for today was "What can we learn from the Haitian kids". During this trip I have realized how blessed I am and that even the little things in my life like clothes, phones, and shoes are such a blessing and I'm so thankful for everything I have. In my journal yesterday I wrote a list comparing the little things that Haitian kids have and the many things we have. For example, there are over 1 million orphans here in Haiti after the earthquake, but most all of us on this trip have loving parents that are always there for us. The Haitian kids have just 1 soccer ball to play with, while we have phones, soccer balls, frisbees, computer, and more. Many of the Haitians do not even have an education, while we all go to great amazing schools and some of us are even moving on to college. All of these things we take for granted daily, but during this trip I've realized how blessed I am and that I need to be more thankful for things that I'm not. After devos we went to graduation for the school kids here at Lifeline. The kids made an entrance dancing and there were so many parents and family members there. It was so nice to see that they do realize how important an education is. We had a quick lunch and then I went to the medical clinic here and Eliza, Ashlyn, Peter, and I sorted through medicine and seperated the expired medicine and the good medicine for the doctor. Once we finished that, we gave clothes and shoes out to the village kids. One by one they came into a room here with hundreds of shoes and chose a pair. After about 3 hectic hours of helping kids try shoes on, we closed the "store" and there were few shoes left. Now we just finished dinner and we are all talking. I have loved this trip. It's been so eye-opening and I'm so thankful I got to come. We will be back in America tomorrow, I'm sad to leave the adorable kids that are here!! Thanks mom and dad for letting us come to Haiti!

No comments:

Post a Comment