Friday, July 15, 2011

On our return trip from Rwanda, I had everyone take some time to process the trip. I asked them some questions, so that they were able to reflect on how the experience was for them personally. But, it was also to consider how they were going to share all they had seen and been a part of to everyone at home who would ultimately be asking, "how was your trip??!" I told them I'd be sharing these answers with the blog, so here you go...

1. What were you expecting coming to Rwanda?
2. What surprised you the most?
3. What did you like the most? least?
4. Is there anything you will do differently or change back home?
5. Describe Rwanda or your experience there in one word.

Kenna:
1. I was expecting to play with kids.
2. I was surprised that the babies did not cry when they were upset, they only fussed a little.
3. I liked playing with the kids. I did not like the lack of sleep.
4. I will save up for another trip. I will be kinder to other people.
5. Fantastic

Logan:
1. I was expecting a rundown country still hurt from genocide.
2. I was surprised by women breast feeding on the sides of the streets.
3. I liked most, the affection of the PREFER students.
4. I will encourage others to go and help.
5. Eye-opening

Elizabeth:
1. I was expecting rural and recovery, but still scars.
2. I was surprised most by forgiveness in the country.
3. I liked teaching at the preschool and experiencing Rwanda. I loved everything.
4. Simplicity
5. Thought-invoking

Jennie:
1. I had NO idea.
2. I was surprised by the culture- the joy and simplicity of their lives
3. I like talking to the natives on the road. I did not like the 12 hour flights.
4. I will clean out my room, give away clothes and toys. I will put more effort into community service and serving the less fortunate.
5. Indescribable

Millie:
1. I was expecting severe poverty.
2. I was surprised of the joy of people who had almost nothing.
3. I liked getting to meet all the sweet kids. I did not like the food.
4. Waste less, want less, love more
5. Life-changing
 
Josh:
1. I was expecting extreme poverty
2. I was surprised by how developed it was.
3. I liked how nice the people are.  I didn't like getting stared at.
4. Nope
5. Freaking-tight!
 
Brett:
1. I was expecting a great opportunity with my wife and daughter.  I was expecting a life change, but really I got great confirmation of what I already doing.
2. I was surprised that it was not as impoverished as I'd thought.  They people made or found a way to get things done.
3. I liked most, Cathy and Teste and their resourcefulness and creativity.  I liked potato farming and the cow.  I did not like the rotten potato and the haziness in the sky.
4. Kindness, resourcefulness, more evangelism
5. Joyous
 
Gretchen:
1. I was expecting lots of opportunities to play with and love on kids.
2. I was surprised by the beautiful kindness and forgiveness of the Rwandan people and the amazing attitudes of the teenagers traveling with us.
3. I liked visiting with the people.  It was such a joy walking to and from the project each day and talking with the people walking beside us.  It was also amazing and humbling to listen to people share their genocide stories. It was frustrating to now know the language.
4. I am excited to have my 2nd grade students pen pal with students from the primary school.  I am also planning a school supply drive to send to PREFER preschool.  I definitely have new ways to pray for Rwanda.
5. Beautiful
 
Mallory:
1. I had no idea, but I was expecting it to be hotter.
2. I was surprised by the amount of English the kids knew and how instantly comfortable they were with us.
3. I liked working with the children and the weather.  I didn't like the food very much.
4. I will not take FREE water for granted.
5. "Amzungu" (lots of white people)
Mallory's most memorable moments:
- walking with Josh and one of the preschoolers back home.  It was a 45 minute walk when we realized the boy had passed his house and didn't know how to get home.  It was chaos on the street with some of the locals trying to figure out who he belonged to and where he lived and how to get him back home.  The kids had a long lecture at school the next day about not following the Mzungus home!
-Taking a nap with one of the little kids during the cultural dance class.
-Josh sleeping on the van and hitting his head on the window during a sharp turn.
-Francois and Dume (2 precious, sweet, new little buddies)

No comments:

Post a Comment