Friday, July 29, 2011

Haiti Recap:
While in the Port au Prince airport (technically still in Haiti, but removed from the chaos) I had the mission trip students do a little reflecting before they jumped right back in to American culture.  I asked them some questions that would enable them to think about their trip on a personal level and to also be prepared for when a hundred people back home inevitably ask the, "how was your trip?" question.  Here are some of their answers.
1. What were you expecting coming to Haiti?
2. What surprised you the most?
3. What did you enjoy the most/least?
4. Is there anything you will change or do differently back home?
5. What does Haiti need most and is there anything you can do to help?
6. Describe Haiti in one word.
7. Describe your experience in Haiti in one word.
 
Fay:
1. I was expecting to do more service such as building houses and roofing.
2. I was surprised most by the water condition and how Haitians both drink and use the bathroom in their river water.
3. I enjoyed holding the quiet little girls the most because they didn't beg- especially the girl who just cried when she wanted to go home.  I enjoyed the downhill hike the least because my feet were in pain and I didn't prepare the right shoes.
4. When I get home, I will make the utmost best of what I have.  I don't necessarily feel guilty for having more than the Haitians, but I do feel disappointed that I don't use what I have to help others.
5.  Haiti seems to need a good government and education most of all, but unfortunately I don't think I am capable of doing much to help in that area, except maybe come back and teach English.  I do feel an urge however, to go home and do research on Haiti's society and maybe base my senior benchmark on this country.
6. Lost
7. Reflective
 
Taylor:
1. I was expecting everything to be completely destroyed and trash and people everywhere.
2. I was surprised by how many kids there were.
3. I liked playing with the kids the most.  I didn't like the heat and the bugs.
4. No, I feel like I already to so much as sponsoring kids and donating clothes, that kind of stuff. So maybe just encourage others to do the same.
5. Haiti needs hope more than anything.  So many people were talking about how Haiti will never recover so I think encouraging the people here and giving them what they need to better their lives is important.
6. Chaos
7. Unexpected
 
Lindsey:
1. I'm honestly not sure.  The ability to help people and show them love.
2. Kids giving me inappropriate hand gestures.
3. I liked most the time I spent helping give out shoes.  I didn't like the heat.
4. I will try and pay attention to what I have and be thankful for it.
5. Haiti needs support and encouragement.  I can continue to visit and show that I care by offering my help.
6. Cautious
7. Enlightening
 
Eliza:
1. I was expecting very tropical but a lot of poverty.
2. I was surprised by the love they show towards each other.  How content and happy they are with so little.
3. I liked being located in the village and playing and talking with the kids who live there.  I didn't like the heat/sweat.
4. I want to make people aware of foreign struggles and poverty.  I want to donate things I don't truly need or use.
5. Haiti needs love.  Many people are so broken.  Also, clothes, clean water, doctors.  I'm going to sponsor a child through lifeline for $20 a month.
6. Loving
7. Eye-opening
 
CJ:
1. I expected a lot of poverty as well as a lack of direction in what I was going on.
2. When I saw just how bad the city was, but seeing hundreds of people just doing nothing.  Where we stayed you could see a change in people's demeanor, they were happy and most everyone moved and had a purpose.
3. I enjoyed playing with the kids, but helping organize the storage room, I felt like that was something that was helpful.  The beach wasn't too shabby either. I didn't like the heat.
4. I think gratefulness and trying to spend less time on myself.
5. The people need a way to sustain themselves without a handout, so I want to support Children's Lifeline in that aspect of the organization.
6. Destitute/Hot
7. Blessing
 
Melissa:
1. I expected to see some poverty and worse living conditions than I'm used to.  Meet some new people and develop new relationships, and make a small effect on Haitian lives.
2. Surprised by the extent of poverty and extremely poor living conditions, how loving the children were and how I thought we had a lot of supplies the last day but the need was so great we ran out quickly.
3. I liked spending time with the locals and gaining perspective on my own life.  I did not like the heat and the bugs.
4. Appreciate what I have and not complain about being hot, bug bites and to be less materialistic.
5. Haiti needs help and improving the poverty.  Every little thing really helps even a simple pair of shoes.  Also just giving love and attention.
6. Developing
7. Eye-opening
 
Laurel:
1. I expected poverty and the tent cities and people walking around without shoes or clothing.
2. I didn't expect the extent of the poverty and individual living in shacks or houses made of mud and rocks.
3. Spending time with the kids was my favorite.  I didn't like the heat.
4. I will appreciate what I have and the little things, so much more.
5. Haiti needs the basic essentials, send clothing that works for them, long shorts, skirts for women, no sweaters.
6. Surviving
7. Eye-opening
 
Peter:
1. I didn't have clear expectations but I imagined it to be something like Belize, where I had been before.  I thought it would be quieter and slower. I was expecting more physical work like building and painting.  I expected life to have been halted because of the earthquake and that there would have been more people there helping.
2. I was surprised by the craziness in Port au Prince. I was surprised by how difficult it is to help people here and how difficult it is getting asked by people to give them stuff.
3. I enjoyed getting to know some of the Haitians and playing soccer.  The Haitians at the mission were great to hang out with.  My least favorite was having to deal with some of the Haitians who were annoying and obnoxious.  Handing out clothing was tough.
4. Coming to Haiti has shown me how real the need is for some people in the world.  It will definitely affect what direction I go in life.
5. It is difficult to answer because Haiti needs so much.  But Haiti seems to need most, people like Donald at Children's Lifeline who are willing and able to carry out realistic needed work there.  I can help by supporting Children's Lifeline.
6. Chaotic
7. Edifying
 
Mary Madison:
1. I wasn't sure what to expect, just a lot of poverty I guess.
2. The whole mission was a great and wonderful surprise.  The work being done in awesome and I didn't know they had something like that in Haiti.
3. I enjoyed playing with the kids the most and the heat and lack of AC the least.
4. I would love to say yes, but I really don't know.
5. They need to be taught trades like the mission is doing.  I can help by donating and encouraging others to donate to the mission.
6. Needy
7. Eye-opening
 
Lauren:
1. I expected poverty but not this extreme and the tent cities were so sad to see.  I also expected to just play with orphans but we got to that and more.
2. Surprised by how happy and joyful the Haitian kids are and not afraid to just run up to us and hold our hands.
3. I liked hiking up to the mountain village and hearing the kids sing.  I didn't like the heat, but we got used to it.
4. Definitely! I will be so much more thankful for everything I have and I won't complain as much.  Also, I'm going to donate clothes and items.
5. Haiti needs more doctors and clean water.  I will let people know and try to donate to Haiti.
6. Awesome
7. Unforgettable.

No comments:

Post a Comment