Monday, June 17, 2013

Why is KIVU Different?

Today I had a chance to spend the afternoon with our 3rd Year Campers.  They've been to KIVU several years and know how we function.  They understand our culture.  They come back each summer for a reason.  So I asked them today to help me understand why they return.  With pen and paper in hand, I wrote their responses.  Here's what they had to say.

"I can share what I am going through in life."

"KIVU offers great adventures in the Colorado mountains."

"The friendships I make here last well beyond camp."

"You guys help students deal with modern day problems."

"KIVU brings together teenagers from all over the country and around the world."

"Non-judgmental."

"I can freely express my thoughts."

"We can be who we are."

"Honesty and vulnerability are modeled here."

"I can get away from the world and pressures of everyday life."

"The staff are intelligent and know what they are talking about."

"The staff are honest about what they are going through in their own lives."

"The staff are imperfect."

"The staff want to help you not just for the 2 weeks at camp but for the whole year."

"The staff are people I can relate to."

"I truly want to change after my term at camp because I've seen the staff go through things I am struggling with and they have changed."

"It's not just a Christian camp where you confess sins and move on.  They really help us get to the root of our struggles."

"It's okay to be broken.  You don't have to 'have it all together'."

"My friends judge me.  My parents ground me.  KIVU accepts me."

No comments:

Post a Comment